When I was a little girl, Sunday’s were my favourite days! It meant that my dad took our family for a drive along the marine, we would get ice cream and then we would go park at the airport and watch as the planes flew off into the clouds. My dad would play all our favourite tracks, and as we watched, my sister and I would make up stories about who was on each flight and where they were going and why. Our most popular destinations, of course, were of our favourite places, for the craziest reasons!
Travelstart recently released their top destinations booked in 2018, and well, I am not surprised. In fact, the list is quite inspiring in terms of my own travel bucket list of South Africa and abroad!
Top 5 Domestic Destinations 2018
- Cape Town – no brainer right? As much as I love Port Elizabeth, Cape Town holds many of my favourite memories and favourite people too. It’s always the first place we think of when we want to travel. It’s not too close or too far and the number of unexplored attractions in Cape Town will have us coming back for more for years to come!
- Johannesburg (O.R. Tambo Airport) – I must admit the only times I have been to Johannesburg were for work, but it’s rich history and quirky street art really do call to me. Are you even South African if you haven’t visited Jozi? It is truly a place with a diverse population, the place all budding ambitious career people want to end up. If you are planning to visit you should check out the info I gathered on this amazing airport here.
- Durban – 3 words – uShaka Marine World! I’ve never been to Durban, the shame!
- Johannesburg (Lanseria Airport) – It’s so nice, they have to feature twice! Jozi is so big they have two international airports!
- Port Elizabeth – It’s my hometown and I absolutely love it, our beaches, our quaint restaurants, and the people, they really are the friendliest in SA! If you haven’t already visited it is a must!
Top 5 International Destinations 2018
- Harare (Zimbabwe)
- London (UK)
- Windhoek (Namibia)
- New York City (U.S.A.)
After the fantastic changes that have been going on in Zimbabwe, it’s awesome to see that it has topped the International Chart for 2018! I can’t boast about visiting any of these places but they definitely make my list too. Interestingly although Cape Town tops at the most popular destination – the most traveled flight route for South Africans is Cape Town to Johannesburg.
Which flight routes would you be taking? If the travel bug is spurring you on to do some holiday planning, you are in luck! Travelstart’s birthday specials are starting on Monday, if you would like to take full advantage of their birthday sale – sign up for early access to their deals!
Disclaimer: This post was done in collaboration with Travelstart.